Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Wed May 22, 2013
"18 in America: A Young Golfer's Epic Journey to Find the Essence of the Game" by Dylan Dethier
At age 17, Dylan Dethier couldn’t help but think he’d never really done anything with his life. So, two months before his freshman year was set to begin, he deferred admission to Williams College. With the reluctant blessing of his parents, Dylan set out on his idea of the Great American Road Trip: to play a round of golf in each of the lower forty-eight states.
What began as the teenage wanderlust of a sheltered New England kid became a journey into America’s heart and soul, to “figure out where—and why—golf fit in” and what it means to be a young man today.
Dylan Dethier learned to golf on a shoes-optional par-30 course near his grandparents’ house on the Maine coast. He is now an English major at Williams College.
Commentary & Opinion