Most Active Stories
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
- From The Museum To The Dorm Room: Williams Art Loan Program
Wed May 22, 2013
"18 in America: A Young Golfer's Epic Journey to Find the Essence of the Game" by Dylan Dethier
At age 17, Dylan Dethier couldn’t help but think he’d never really done anything with his life. So, two months before his freshman year was set to begin, he deferred admission to Williams College. With the reluctant blessing of his parents, Dylan set out on his idea of the Great American Road Trip: to play a round of golf in each of the lower forty-eight states.
What began as the teenage wanderlust of a sheltered New England kid became a journey into America’s heart and soul, to “figure out where—and why—golf fit in” and what it means to be a young man today.
Dylan Dethier learned to golf on a shoes-optional par-30 course near his grandparents’ house on the Maine coast. He is now an English major at Williams College.
Commentary & Opinion