Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New York News
Tue January 8, 2013
3 NY Assemblymen seek more fracking regs comment time
Three New York state Assembly committee chairmen are asking Gov. Andrew Cuomo to suspend the comment period on new gas drilling regulations until a health review is completed. WAMC’s Dave Lucas has more…
The 30-day comment period for revised regulations for shale gas drilling using hydraulic fracturing — or fracking — ends on Friday. Numerous environmental groups and elected officials from around the state have called on Cuomo to extend the comment period. They say it should wait until after a health impact review now under way is completed and the regulations revised to reflect the health review findings.
Assembly Environmental Conservation Committee Chairman Robert Sweeney, Health Chairman Richard Gottfried, and Regulation Review Chairman Charles Lavine are holding a public hearing Thursday on the regulations.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press