Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New York News
Mon November 5, 2012
3 Soldiers From Upstate NY Killed in Afghanistan
Military officials say three U.S. Army Reserve soldiers from upstate New York have been killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense has identified the soldiers as 29-year-old Staff Sgt. Dain Venne of Port Henry, 22-year-old Spc. Ryan Jayne of Campbell and 27-year-old Spc. Brett Gornewicz of Alden.
The Pentagon says they died of wounds suffered Saturday when enemy forces attacked their unit with an improvised explosive device in Paktia province.
They were members of the Oswego-based 444th Engineer Co. and were assigned to the 178th Engineer Battalion of the Vicksburg, Miss.-based 412th Theater Engineer Command.
Venne was from Port Henry, a Lake Champlain village in Essex County, Jayne was from the Corning area in Steuben County, and Gornewicz was from the Buffalo area.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.