Most Active Stories
- Amber Alert Canceled After Body Of Missing 5-Year-Old Found
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- NY Fracking Ban Decision Elicits Different Reactions
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
New York News
Mon March 31, 2014
812,000+ NYers Sign Up For Health Insurance
New York state health officials say more than 812,000 people have enrolled for health insurance statewide under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.
Monday marked the deadline for open enrollment through the state's health plan marketplace, called NY State of Health. Residents can choose from plans from 16 insurers and 10 dental insurers.
The state health department says nearly 100,000 people enrolled over the past week and by Sunday morning, the number was 812,033. Officials say more than 70 percent of those who've enrolled since October had been uninsured and that New York is on pace to meet its goal of 1.1 million people by the end of 2016.
Nationally, the Obama administration says more than 6 million Americans have signed up for insurance under the 2010 Affordable Care Act.
© 2014 AP
Commentary & Opinion