Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Tue September 11, 2012
9-11 Memorial With World Trade Center Steel Planned
Officials in Springfield Massachusetts have unveiled the design for a permanent September 11th memorial that will include a steel girder from one of the fallen towers of the World Trade Center. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports
The 12 foot long, 29 hundred pound World Trade Center artifact will be the gnoman..the part of a sundial that cast the shadow. The face of the sundial, will have notations for the times of the significant events that occurred during the terrorist attacks. The memorial is the concept of local artist James Kitchen, who said he wanted something that would not be static. Springfield Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant praised the idea
Conant said officials are trying to select a place for the permanent memorial that will afford maximum public access to it year round. The design was unveiled during the city’s annual remembrance ceremony outside a fire station that featured the laying of a wreath, the playing of taps a rifle salute, and the tolling of the bell..