Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New England News
Tue September 11, 2012
9-11 Memorial With World Trade Center Steel Planned
Officials in Springfield Massachusetts have unveiled the design for a permanent September 11th memorial that will include a steel girder from one of the fallen towers of the World Trade Center. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports
The 12 foot long, 29 hundred pound World Trade Center artifact will be the gnoman..the part of a sundial that cast the shadow. The face of the sundial, will have notations for the times of the significant events that occurred during the terrorist attacks. The memorial is the concept of local artist James Kitchen, who said he wanted something that would not be static. Springfield Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant praised the idea
Conant said officials are trying to select a place for the permanent memorial that will afford maximum public access to it year round. The design was unveiled during the city’s annual remembrance ceremony outside a fire station that featured the laying of a wreath, the playing of taps a rifle salute, and the tolling of the bell..