Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New York News
Mon September 10, 2012
Aerial spraying for EEE set in central NY county
Health officials in a central New York county say aerial spraying to kill mosquitoes is now scheduled for Tuesday evening, if the weather cooperates. More from WAMC’s Dave Lucas.
The Oswego County Health Department says the spraying ordered after Eastern equine encephalitis was found in one of the insects is set for a 10,000-acre area just north of Oneida Lake, 10 miles northeast of Syracuse.
The discovery of EEE last week in Oswego County was the first in 2012. Last year, a 4-year-old Oswego County girl died from the brain virus, but illness is rare in humans.
Health officials advise residents in the spraying area to stay indoors and keep windows and doors closed for one hour after the spraying.
They say Monday the spraying is expected to start at about 6:45 p.m.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.