Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- The Gooey Chocolate Cookie Recipe That's Worth $5,000
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
WAMC Speakers Corner
Fri May 22, 2009
Alan Chartock ... In Conversation with Eva Marie Saint
Albany, NY – Alan Chartock talks with one of the real treasures of the American cinema, Oscar-winning actress Eva Marie Saint, star of movies like "On the Waterfront" and "North by Northwest." Saint's career has spanned more than five decades, beginning on the stage and expanding to include radio, film and television work. She won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress her very first time working in movies, acting opposite Marlon Brando in Elia Kazan's "On the Waterfront."
Saint also co-starred with Cary Grant in Alfred Hitchcock's "North by Northwest," as one of Hitchcock's famous "icy blondes." She's been similarly successful on television, winning an Emmy in 1990 for the miniseries "People Like Us." She continued going strong in the new millenium, with parts in "Don't Come Knocking" and the role of Clark Kent's mother in this year's upcoming "Superman Returns."
Saint grew up in Delmar, NY, attending high school at Bethlehem Central, with plans to become a teacher like her mother. In 2006, the Hollywood legend was inducted into the Bethlehem Central School District's Alumni Hall of Fame.