Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
Capital Region News
Mon March 4, 2013
Albany Academy Celebrates 200th Anniversary
This afternoon Albany Academy launched a 15-month bicentennial celebration. The symbolic chiming of the clock tower bells, rung for the first time in 84 years, commemorated the beginning of a third century of education at the Albany Academies. Students, parents, faculty and alumni gathered at the Boy's School Front Circle to mark the 200th anniversary.
The Boy's Academy opened in 1813, followed a year later by the girls' school - the two have produced leaders on local, national and internationals. They include Herman Melville, author of “the great American novel,” Moby Dick - and Dr. Wayne Wilkins - He spent 44 years at Mass General and for 15 years was team physician for the Boston Bruins - he graduated from Albany Academy in 1937.
The Bicentennial celebration will conclude in June, 2014 when Albany Academy for Girls holds its commencement.