Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
- Listener Essay - Reflections On A Life Well Lived
Capital Region News
Wed June 19, 2013
Albany Aquarium: Idea Whose Time Has Come?
The idea of a building a convention center in downtown Albany has been on the back burner for some time... a developer has come up with a new plan for the land. Democratic Albany Mayoral Candidate Corey Ellis has been a proponent of building a city aquarium for some time - now Omni Development Corporation is pushing that idea along with a science museum and an IMAX theater to be constructed on the site of the flat-lined convention center project between Broadway and the South Mall Arterial.
According to the Times Union, the facility could be built through private fundraising and state economic development money - but feasibility study is needed to figure out how large the project should be and a better idea of what it would cost.
North Country News