Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Capital District News
Mon August 13, 2012
Albany Police Prevent Man From Leaping Off Albany Bridge
Police officers are being credited with preventing a man from jumping off a bridge over the Hudson River at Albany.
The Albany Police Department says city officers, police from neighboring Rensselaer and state troopers responded to the Dunn Memorial Bridge Sunday afternoon after motorists reported a man standing on the edge of the span's westbound side.
When police arrived, the man was standing behind a chain-link safety fence about 100 feet over the river.
The man made a sudden move to jump, but the officers were able to hold onto his legs and pull him to safety.
Authorities say he's a 53-year-old from Saratoga. He was taken to Albany Medical Center for a psychiatric evaluation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press