Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New York News
Wed May 22, 2013
Amendment to Block Border Crossing Fee Passes
An amendment introduced by NY Congressman Bill Owens to block a border fee proposed by the Department of Homeland Security in its 2014 budget request was passed in the Appropriations committee Wednesday.
Democrat Owens’ amendment bars the Department of Homeland Security from studying nor implementing border crossing fees for passenger vehicles and pedestrians at the northern and southern borders.
Congressman Owens says potential damage to economic development and tourism would “....cost more than the government could ever collect through fees.”
His amendment will be included in the bill when it moves to the full House.
Earlier this month, Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy blocked the border crossing fee in the Senate Judiciary committee.
North Country News