Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
WAMC New England News
Tue February 14, 2006
Amherst Students Push for Sudan Divestment
By Dan Bobkoff
AMHERST, MA – The Darfur region of Sudan has been beset by violence since February 2003 as non-Arab rebels have fought government forces backed by militias. The UN estimates at least 180,000 people have died and at least 2 million people have been displaced in the crisis. Now, led by a student group, Amherst College has publicly divested its holdings in companies it says are aiding the government's military campaign-and it's pushing the state government and fund managers to do the same.
WAMC's Pioneer Valley Bureau Chief, Dan Bobkoff has the story.