Any Questions? #100
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel celebrate their 100th episode.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase MEL'S DINER. Change one letter to an A, then rearrange the result to spell two words you might see on a door at a diner. What are the words?
Answer: If you change the R to an A, you can spell LADIES and MEN.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: HUNDREDS
On-air questions: Against all odds, Any Questions? celebrates its 100th show! This week, we look back at the 99 previous categories we've done so far, starting with colleges, doctors, repeated initials – OK, not really. To commemorate our centennial, this week our quiz is about hundreds.
1. The Hundred Acre Wood is the home to Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends, and is frequently visited by Christopher Robin, in stories by what author?
2. Hundred Islands National Park – actually comprised of either 123 or 124 islands – is located in what southeast Asian country, itself an archipelago comprised of more than 7,100 islands?
3. The period of a presidential term now commonly called "the first hundred days" was originally used to denote the time following what president's first inauguration on March 4, 1933?
4. A U. S. $100 bill features a portrait of Benjamin Franklin on the obverse (hence the slang term "Benjamin"). What Philadelphia building is on the reverse of a U.S. $100 bill?
5. The American Film Institute has twice ranked – once in 1998 and again in 2007 – what it considered the 100 best movies. Citizen Kane was No. 1 both times, but the movies at No. 2 and No. 3 switched places. Name either of those two movies.
1. On August 4, 1958, Billboard magazine released its first Hot 100 singles chart. The top song on this first chart was "Poor Little Fool" by what singer and television actor?
2. Element 100 on the periodic table is named for what physicist, who won the 1938 Nobel Prize in Physics and is often referred to as, along with Robert Oppenheimer, one of the fathers of the atomic bomb?
This week's challenge
Think of a 10-letter word starting with P associated with the number 100. Change that P to an I, and you can rearrange the result to spell a hyphenated term for a relative. What is the word and who is the relative?
1. A.A. Milne
2. Republic of the Phillippines
3. Franklin D. Roosevelt
4. Independence Hall
5. Casablanca, The Godfather
1. Ricky Nelson
2. Enrico Fermi