Most Active Stories
Arts & Culture
Fri August 9, 2013
Any Questions? #102
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats for a show appropriately about trades.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase MIND THE GAP. Change one letter to an S then rearrange the result to spell a word starting with S that names an action that would most likely be unsafe in a subway tunnel. What is the word?
Answer: If you change an H to an S, you can spell Stampeding.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: TRADES
On-air questions: On August 9, 1988, the Edmonton Oilers sent hockey great Wayne Gretzky to the Los Angeles Kings in a hugely controversial trade that made Gretzky an American star but led some Canadians to question his patriotism. Gretzky would go to play for St. Louis and retire a New York Ranger. So today’s quiz is all about major sports trades.
1. One of the most famous baseball trades in history happened off the field when Yankees Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich completed a trade in 1972. What did the trade consist of? As a hint, it led general manager Lee MacPhail to quip, “We may have to call off Family Day.”
2. This catcher, a 12-time all-star, played six seasons for the Dodgers and eight for the Mets. Between them came five games for a third National League team in 1998. Who is the catcher and what was the middle team? As a hint, this team plays in the Mets’ division.
3. Jets legend Joe Namath said the following “I think it's just a publicity stunt. I don't think they know what they're doing over there” about the trade that brought which hype-inducing quarterback to New York, where he lasted just one season?
4. Speaking through an interpreter, which outfielder, who won a Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same season in 2001, said he was excited because he “going from a team with the most losses to a team with the most wins” as he literally changed dugouts before a 2012 game? What were the teams?
5. Perhaps the second-most famous Chicago Bull, this player was drafted by Seattle in 1987 before being sent to accompany Michael Jordan in a draft-day deal for someone called Olden Polynice and a second round pick.
1. Proverbially, Tom Fortugno was traded from The Reno Silver Sox to the Milwaukee Brewers organization in 1989 for what?
2. Elmore Smith, Junior Bridgeman, Dave Meyers and Brian Winters were sent to Milwaukee when the Lakers acquired which future Hall of Famer and sometime actor?
This week's challenge
Start with the term TRADE DEADLINE. Rearrange these letters into three words to name a way that can describe broken down trade talks.
1. Their families
2. Mike Piazza, Florida Marlins
3. Tim Tebow
4. Ichiro Suzuki
5. Scottie Pippen
1. A bag of baseballs
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar