Any Questions? #103
WAMC’s Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel focus on past Sports Illustrated’s Sportsmen of the Year.
Last week's challenge
Start with the term TRADE DEADLINE. Rearrange these letters into three words that can describe broken-down trade talks.
Answer: You can rearrange the letters to spell DERAILED AT END.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: SPORTS ILLUSTRATED SPORTSMEN OF THE YEAR
On-air questions: On August 16, 1954, the first issue of Sports Illustrated was published. Featured on the cover was a photo of Milwaukee Braves third baseman Eddie Matthews and New York Giants catcher Wes Westrum during a game in Milwaukee. In honor of that first issue, our quiz this week is about an annual Sports Illustrated tradition: the Sportsman of the Year award.
1. The first Sportsman of the Year award was given out in 1954 to British track and field star Roger Bannister. For what record-breaking feat was Bannister bestowed the honor?
2. The first two women to receive the award (appropriately renamed Sportswoman of the Year) were both tennis players. One was honored in 1972, the other in 1976. Name either woman.
3. Since the award's inception in 1954, only nine individuals who were not American have received the honor. Who was the most recent such individual to win, sharing his 1998 award with Mark McGwire?
4. The award has three times been given to a team: in 2004 to the Boston Red Sox for winning the World Series, in 1999 to the U.S. women's soccer team for winning the World Cup, and in 1980 to what team?
5. Speaking of the Olympics, the only swimmer to receive the Sportsman of the Year was what athlete, who was honored for his winning a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Summer Olympics?
1. Winning in 1996 and 2000, what golfer is the only athlete to be named Sportsman of the Year more than once?
2. The first time a cyclist was awarded the Sportsman of the Year award was in 1989, when it was given to what athlete, after he won the 1989 UCI Road World Championships and the 1989 Tour de France, the latter by a margin of eight seconds?
This week's challenge
Start with the name BANNISTER. Change one letter to a W, then rearrange the result to spell an adjective starting with B that might describe the Sportsman of the Year award winner. What word is it?
1. Running a mile in less than 4 minutes
2. Billie Jean King, Chris Evert
3. Sammy Sosa
4. U. S. Olympic men's hockey team
5. Michael Phelps
1. Tiger Woods
2. Greg LeMond