Any Questions? #104
WAMC’s Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel focus on famous Franklins.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name BANNISTER. Change one letter to a W, then rearrange the result to spell an adjective starting with B that might describe the Sportsman of the Year award winner. What word is it?
Answer: If you change one of the Ns to a W, you can spell BRAWNIEST.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FAMOUS FRANKLINS
On-air questions: On August 23, 1784, what was then the western part of North Carolina declared itself an autonomous territory called the state of Franklin. It had completely dissolved by 1789, and the land eventually became the eastern part of Tennessee. In honor of what might have at one time become the 14th state, this week our quiz is about other famous Franklins.
1. On July 31, 1968, what comic strip introduced a character named Franklin, which reportedly prompted one editor to write, "I don't mind you having a black character, but please don't show them in school together"?
2. The pseudonym "Franklin W. Dixon" has been used since 1927 by the authors who write young adult novels featuring what pair of teenage amateur detectives?
3. Portraying a character named Mrs. Murphy, who co-owns a soul food restaurant with her guitar-playing husband, singer Aretha Franklin performs one of her biggest hits in what 1980 comedy film?
4. The election of 1852 saw Franklin Pierce defeat General Winfield Scott in a landslide victory. Scott was the last candidate nominated by what political party, which saw four of its previous candidates elected to the U.S. presidency?
5. Named for a British explorer who led a famous "lost" expedition through the northwest territory, the Franklin Range is a small mountain chain on Vancouver Island, which is off the coast of what Canadian province?
1. Before starring in the sitcom One Day at a Time, actress Bonnie Franklin guest starred on a 1966 episode of what series, in an episode titled "Herman's Sorority Caper"?
2. One of the most iconic collectibles produced by the Franklin Mint is a chess set in which the traditional game pieces are replaced by figures from what famous military event in American history?
This week's challenge
Start with the name ROOSEVELT. Change one letter to a C, then rearrange the result to spell a two-word phrase (five letters in the first word, four in the second) that describes something that might make a politician nervous. What is it?
2. The Hardy Boys
3. The Blues Brothers
5. British Columbia
1. The Munsters
2. The Civil War