Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Arts & Culture
Fri September 27, 2013
Any Questions? #109
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel focus on Google's doodles.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name of last week's featured award, the PALME D'OR. Change one letter to an E and rearrange the result to spell the two-word name of a type of tree. What is it?
Answer: If you change the O to an E, you can spell RED MAPLE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: GOOGLE DOODLES
On-air questions: According to Google, the birthday of its eponymous search engine is September 27, 1998. To celebrate its 15th birthday, our quiz this week is about the images, videos, and interactive games that replace the search engine's usual logo on special occasions: the Google Doodles.
1. On January 28, 2008, the Doodle rendered the Google logo in tiny plastic bricks to commemorate the 50th anniversary of what popular children's toy?
2. The first interactive Doodle appeared on May 21, 2010. The Doodle was a version of what classic 1980s video game, whose maze had been redesigned to include the letters of "Google" across the center?
3. On June 15, 2011, the Doodle updated in real time by slowly blacking out – and then un-blacking out – the second O in the logo, showing the progress of what astronomical event taking place that day?
4. To celebrate Albert Einstein’s 124th birthday on March 13, 2003, the Doodle transformed the first O in Google into Einstein’s head, and added what after the E?
5. The July 8, 2013 Doodle was a point-and-click adventure game about an alien that crashes to earth. It commemorated the 66th anniversary of a famous incident that took place in what New Mexico town?
1. On April 20, 2011, the traditional font used for the word "Google" was changed to a Cyrillic-style font to honor the 50th anniversary of the first manned space flight by what cosmonaut?
2. The May 23, 2012 Doodle featured a virtual synthesizer, allowing the user to record short songs and post them to Google Plus. What pioneer of electronic music did this Doodle commemorate?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase SEARCH ENGINE. Drop one letter, then rearrange the rest to spell a six-letter word and a five-letter word that each name a part of a laptop computer. What are the words?
3. Lunar eclipse
4. " = mc2 "
1. Yuri Gagarin
2. Robert Moog