Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
Arts & Culture
Fri October 18, 2013
Any Questions? #112
WAMC’s Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel focus on family bands.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name of the founder of a famous elevator company, ELISHA OTIS. Drop one letter, then rearrange the result to spell something that would be unpleasant for someone to have if you were in an elevator with them. What is it?
Answer: If you drop the E, you can spell HALITOSIS.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: SINGING FAMILIES
On-air questions: On October 18, 1969, the Jackson Five made their national television debut on a variety show called Hollywood Palace. They performed their first single, "I Want You Back," among other songs. To commemorate that historic broadcast, this week our questions are about other singing families.
1. Contrary to popular belief, the name of what singing trio is not actually a reference to the fact that the group is a trio of brothers named Gibb?
2. Although the lineup changed personnel over the years, the longest incarnation of what singer's backup band, called the Pips, featured her brother Merald and two of their cousins?
3. Expanding in 1967 to its full lineup of six siblings and their mother, the Cowsills were the inspiration for what 1970s TV singing family, in which David Cassidy and Danny Bonaduce played two of the brothers?
4. Famous for hits such as "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up Little Susie," what is the last name of brothers Don and Phil, one of the first 10 artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
5. Inspired by the title of their biggest hit, what trio of brothers released a beer in 2013 called "Mmmhops"?
1. Among the groups with siblings that have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is the group comprised of patriarch Roebuck (known as "Pops"), his daughter Mavis, and her three siblings. What is the name of this group?
2. Which famous siblings joined the singing group formed in Ogden, Utah, by their brothers Alan, Wayne, Merrill, and Jay, and rose to prominence with that group on The Andy Williams Show in the 1960s?
This week's challenge
Start with the last name of a pair of famous singing siblings. Drop the first and last letter of their name, and you'll get a word that names another relative. What is the last name, and who is the relative?
1. The Bee Gees
2. Gladys Knight
3. The Partridge Family
1. The Staple Singers
2. Donny and Marie Osmond