Most Active Stories
- Next In NYS: Legal Marijuana?
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away, And Statins Do, Too
- Family Of Norman Rockwell Angered Over Conclusions Drawn In New Rockwell Biography
- Dr. Robert Levenson, University of California Berkeley - Genetics of Marital Bliss
Arts & Culture
Fri October 25, 2013
Any Questions? #113
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel mark the Fall Classic with a show about series.
Last week's challenge
Start with the last name of a pair of famous singing siblings. Drop the first and last letter of their name, and you'll get a word that names another relative. What is the last name, and who is the relative?
Answer: The last name is SMOTHERS, and if you follow the directions, you get MOTHER.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: SERIES
On-air questions: The World Series is once again in full swing. So it's time to bring back a category we did during World Series time a couple of years ago. Each question is a list of things that form a series. In each list will be a blank, and you figure out what goes in that blank.
1. John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul I, John Paul II, _______, Francis
2. Vertigo, North By Northwest, _______, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain
3. Centi-, milli-, micro-, _______, pico-, femto-
4. Mad Men, Mad Men, Mad Men, Mad Men, Homeland, _______
5. The right to bear arms, quartering of troops, unreasonable searches and seizures, _______, a fair and speedy trial
1. Helium, neon, _______, krypton, xenon, radon
2. _______, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase WORLD SERIES. Rearrange the letters to spell a two-word phrase (four letters in the first word, seven letters in the second) that might describe a nervous sports fan after his team wins the first two games of the World Series. What is the phrase?
1. Benedict XVI [Popes]
2. Psycho [Alfred Hitchcock films]
3. Nano- [Metric prefixes]
4. Breaking Bad [Winners of Emmy award for Outstanding Drama Series]
5. Self-incrimination [Amendments #2 - #6 in the Bill of Rights]
1. Argon [Noble gases]
2. Delaware [First seven states to ratify the U.S. Constitution]