Most Active Stories
Arts & Culture
Fri November 29, 2013
Any Questions? #118
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch spors for a show about threes this week.
Last week's challenge
Start with the word GEORGETOWN. Add an N, then rearrange the result to spell a three word phrase (three letters in the first word, three letters in the second, five letters in the third) that tells what a student who doesn't know all the answers might do on an exam. What is the phrase?
Answer: GET ONE WRONG.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FAMOUS GEORGES
On-air questions: November 29th is the 333rd day of the year in non leap years like 2013. So today's quiz is all about threes.
1. In writing about this sequel starring O.J. Simpson, Anna Nicole Smith, Leslie Neilsen and Priscilla Presley, film critic Roger Ebert said: "They play everything on a level of seriousness that would be appropriate, say, for a 1960s TV cop drama. Their timing is impeccable. And they provide the sure, strong center around which the madness revolves."
2. In the year 333, the Roman Empire was led by this man who was the first to convert to Christianity.
3. Dan Barry is the author of Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game, about a Triple-A baseball game that took place in 1981. In what Providence County, Rhode Island city was the game played?
4. Sticking with baseball, only eight people have amassed more than 3,333 hits. Number one on the list is Pete Rose with 4,256, who broke Ty Cobb's mark of 4,189. Which former home run champion is currently third on the list?
5. Born on the 333rd day of 1949, this comedian and actor who has been nominated for 19 Emmy Awards had two critically acclaimed meta television series, one on Showtime that used his real name, and one on HBO that didn't.
1. Name the legendary NHL goaltender who has his No. 33 retired by both Montreal and Colorado.
2. What is the term for the number you get by diving 10 by 3?
This week's challenge
The important multiple of 333, 666, figures heavily in a key book of the bible. Rearrange the letters of this 10-letter bible book to spell a two-word phrase, six letters in the first word, four in the second, that can describe the action in this particular bible book. As a hint, each word begins with a vowel.
1. Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
3. Pawtucket, at McCoy Stadium. As a bonus fact, the first 32 innings were played beginning April 18th, with the last inning held June 23rd. Pawtucket beat Rochester 3-2.
4. Hank Aaron. Over 23 seasons, Aaron hit 755 home runs, which is now second behind Barry Bonds' 762, but also racked up 3,771 hits.
5. Garry Shandling, It's Gary Shandling's Show and The Larry Sanders Show.
1. Patrick Roy
2. Repeating decimal