Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Shakespeare & Company's Founding Artistic Dir. Speaks About Recent Leadership Resignations
Fri November 18, 2011
Any Questions? #12
Albany, NY – Resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel and WAMC's Ian Pickus switch seats for a quiz about New Mexico.
Last week's challenge
Begin with the four-letter name of a drink. Add the consecutive letters XI (as in the Roman numeral for eleven) somewhere in that name, and you'll get an adjective describing something that might make you want a drink. What is the drink and what is the adjective?
Answer: The drink is TANG, and the adjective is TAXING.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: New Mexico
On-air questions: Resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel and WAMC's Ian Pickus switch seats, so this week, we rearrange Nothangel's initials to NM, the postal abbreviation of New Mexico.
1. Name of the 2007 movie remake filmed in New Mexico but whose title includes a city in Arizona
2. The minor league baseball team located in Albuquerque that takes its name from an episode of The Simpsons
3. The river that forms a small part of the border between New Mexico and Texas.
4. The former New Mexico governor who served in the Clinton administration but endorsed then-Senator Obama for president after bowing out of the 2008 Democratic primary (James Carville famously called him "Judas" for the endorsement).
5. The 19th-century route that connected New Mexico with Missouri.
6. New Mexico became the 47th state on January 6th, 1912. Who was president that day, and what also important job did he hold after leaving office?
1. Famed American artist who died at age 98 in Santa Fe in 1986.
2. The English novelist who lived on a ranch near Taos in the 1920s (hint: it's unclear if the ranch has a rocking horse).
This week's challenge
The Gila monster is a venomous lizard found in the Southwest. Rearrange the letters to come up with a two-word phrase that describes Any Questions?'s audience. The first word has five letters. The second has six.
1. 3:10 to Yuma
3. Rio Grande
4. Bill Richardson
5. Santa Fe Trail
6. Taft, also served as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
1. Georgia O'Keeffe
2. D.H. Lawrence