Most Active Stories
Arts & Culture
Fri December 27, 2013
Any Questions? #122
Everything must go here on the last show of the year with WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel.
Last week's challenge
Start with the last names of two of the stars of It's a Wonderful Life: STEWART and REED. Rearrange these 11 letters to spell a five-letter word that names something you need to live, and a six-letter word that names a place that doesn't have it. What are the words?
Answer: The words are WATER and DESERT.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: LEFTOVER QUESTIONS
On-air questions: It's our last show...of the year, that is. So, it's time for our annual Any Questions? clearance sale, in which we clear out the trivia cupboard by using up leftover questions from categories we did this past year. And this time, as an extra holiday treat, all of the questions are from categories we gave to one of our special guest answerers.
1. [#78: "How To..." with Mike Danforth & Ian Chillag] Step One: join a hockey team. Step Two: score a goal. Step Three: Repeat Step Two twice more in the same game.
2. [#93: "L. A." with Doug Peterson] What category do Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads, The Last Waltz by The Band, and At Folsom Prison by Johnny Cash all belong to?
3. [#96: Famous Trios with Trey Graham] The first of Isaac Newton's three laws of motion can be summarized as "An object at rest stays at rest, and an object in motion stays in motion, unless an external force acts upon it." By what seven-letter word is this phenomenon commonly known?
4. [#111: Elevators with Neville Fogarty] A 1980s Canadian game show called Pitfall challenged contestants to cross a bridge comprised of eight elevators by correctly answering trivia questions. Who hosted this show, two years before hosting the game show he is most associated with?
5. [#116: Big Ben with Ben Zimmer] In the 1950s, a 13-and-a-half-foot replica of one of Big Ben's faces was hung in the south concourse of what famous railroad station, itself known for a clock in the center of the main concourse?
1. [#87: One-Person shows with Charlie Ross] In 2007, The Year of Magical Thinking opened on Broadway with Vanessa Redgrave starring as what author, whose 2005 memoir was adapted for the show?
2. [#106: Repetitious Answers with John Flansburgh] What 1997 film stars Jim Carrey as a father who, after his son makes a birthday wish that comes true, must tell the truth for an entire day?
This week's challenge
Take the phrase "red-tag sale". Rearrange the letters to spell a two-word phrase (5,5) that names things you might get at such a sale. What are they?
1. How to score a hat trick
2. Live albums
4. Alex Trebek
5. Grand Central Terminal
1. Joan Didion
2. Liar Liar