Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Arts & Culture
Fri January 24, 2014
Any Questions #126
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel consider apples on this week's quiz.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name of Norweigan Edvard Munch’s most famous work. Rearrange the letters to spell two words (3, 6) that might describe an action a New York art lover on a mission might undertake. What is the painting and what is the action?
Answer: The Scream, Met Search
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: APPLES
On-air questions: On January 24, 1984, the first Apple Macintosh computer went on sale. It was beige, had a nine-inch black-and-white monitor, a handle for easy carrying, and sold for $2,495. To commemorate the 30th anniversary of that historic Apple product, this week our questions are about apples.
1. In the late 1960s, the members of what rock band formed Apple Corps, a multimedia corporation whose film division's first production was the movie Magical Mystery Tour?
2. Apple Blythe Alison Martin is the older child of Chris Martin (the lead singer of the band Coldplay) and what actress, who won an Academy Award for her role in the 1998 film Shakespeare in Love?
3. In Greek mythology, the Hesperides tended a garden containing a tree that produced golden apples. Stealing the apples from the garden was the eleventh of the 12 labors of whom?
4. The Son of Man, a painting featuring a man in a suit and a bowler hat with an apple obscuring most of his face, was painted by what French surrealist?
5. "Do you like apples?" "Yeah." "Well, I got her number. How do you like them apples?" is an exchange between actors Scott William Winters and Matt Damon from what 1997 film about a genius mathematician working as an MIT janitor?
1. The stadium of what Major League Baseball team features the "Home Run Apple," which rises every time a player from that team hits a home run?
2. To announce the arrival of the Macintosh, Apple ran a now infamous advertisement during that year's Super Bowl that referenced what classic novel?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase RED DELICIOUS. Change one letter to a P and you can spell three words, one that can precede the word APPLE and two that can follow it to make common two-word phrases. What are the words?
1. The Beatles
2. Gwyneth Paltrow
4. Rene Magritte
5. Good Will Hunting
1. New York Mets