Any Questions #127
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel have fun at the movies this week.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase RED DELICIOUS. Change one letter to a P and you can spell a four-letter word that can precede APPLE, and two words that can follow APPLE (three letters in one word, five letters in the other), to make common two-word phrases. What are the words?
Answer: If you change the L to a P, you can spell SOUR, CIDER and PIE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: "BEFORE AND AFTER" GOES TO THE MOVIES
On-air questions: The nominees for the 86th annual Academy Awards were announced earlier this month. (Gravity and American Hustle gathered the most nominations with 10 each.) This week, we get into the movie-going spirit by playing a movie-themed version of our "Before and After" category. Each correct answer is formed from two movie titles, where the last word of one title is the first word of the other title.
1. What movie stars George Clooney as the leader of a gang of thieves who steal from casinos and also serve as the members of a jury for a murder trial?
2. What movie tells the story of businessman George Bailey, who is shown by his guardian angel how things would be different if he had never been stranded on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger?
3. What movie is about a Pennsylvania family trapped in a farmhouse as zombies attack them while Robin Williams stands on a desk during English class and tells his students to "carpe diem!"?
4. What movie stars Robert De Niro as a self-destructive boxer who joins a North Carolina minor-league baseball team with Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins?
5. What movie tells the story of six unemployed Englishmen who form a striptease act and join the Knights of the Round Table for a quest, during which they are taunted by French peasants and use coconuts instead of horses?
1. What movie stars Javier Bardem as a hit man sent to recover stolen money from two agents working for a secret organization that tracks aliens living on Earth disguised as humans?
2. What movie is about the suddenly-destitute Dashwood sisters (played by Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson) who seek financial stability in marriage and who can also see dead people?
This week's challenge
Start with the two-word title for a particular person who works on a movie set. Change the O in the second word to a U and you'll name a place that sells movies. Who is the person and what is the place?
1. Ocean's 12 Angry Men
2. It's a Wonderful Life of Pi
3. Night of the Living Dead Poets Society
4. Raging Bull Durham
5. The Full Monty Python and the Holy Grail
1. No Country for Old Men in Black
2. The Sixth Sense and Sensibility