Any Questions #129
WAMC's Ian Pickus and Mike Nothnagel switch seats for Valentine's Day.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase TIME TRAVEL. Rearrange these 10 letters to spell a two-word phrase (five letters in each word) that names a type of fastener. What is it?
ANSWER: METAL RIVET.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FAMOUS VALENTINES
On-air questions: February 14 is Valentine’s Day, the Feast of St. Valentine, although the only thing we're feasting on is candy hearts. Our alentine to you is a quiz about famous people named Valentine.
1. This man has worked as the Director of Public Safety for the city of Stamford, Connecticut. Some of his other jobs include managing the Mets, Red Sox and Texas Rangers.
2. An exhibition called Master of Couture that ran from November 2012 through March 2013 in London featured more than 100 designs, photos and a sample catwalk. Whose work was featured at the exhibit?
3. A character named Valentine, who attends to the Duke, appears in which Shakespeare play, whose title refers to the end of the Christmas season?
4. An ex-Air Force mechanic during World War II, a man named Elmer Valentine founded several famous nightclubs on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood, including which club that featured The Doors as a house band?
5. Kid Thomas was the stage name of Thomas Valentine, a bandleader and trumpeter who often performed at Preservation Hall in which city?
1. Saratoga Springs native Scott Valentine portrayed Nick Moore on which 80s sitcom?
2. Cape Valentine, named by sailors as early as 1822, is found off which continent?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase Valentine’s Day. Rearrange the letters to spell three words (4,4,5), one of them a proper noun, that could describe what ninth century Pope Valentine might have worked to do.
1. Bobby Valentine, who led the Mets to the 2000 World Series but was fired after one season in Boston in 2012 when the Red Sox finished in last place with their worst record in 47 years.
2. Valentino Garavani, who made a cameo in the film The Devil Wears Prada
3. Twelfth Night, Or What You Will (A Valentine also appears in Two Gentlemen Of Verona)
4. The Whisky A Go Go, named after the famous French disco. Valentine also helped establish The Roxy and the Rainbow.
5. Preservation Hall
1. Family Ties. He also played Nick Moore in the pilot spinoff The Art of Being Nick