Any Questions? #14
Albany, NY – WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel open the book on a literary quiz.
Last week's challenge
Start with the six-letter name of a national corporation. The name begins with an A, and if you drop that A, you can rearrange the remaining letters to spell the name of a national store chain. What names are these?
Answer: The corporation is AMTRAK and the store chain is KMART.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: LITERATURE
On-air questions: This week in 2010, the record auction price for a printed book was set ($11.5 million for a first edition of John James Audubon's Birds of America. We'll celebrate that milestone with a literary quiz.
1. Ray Bradbury novel whose first line is, "It was a pleasure to burn."
2. Best-selling author of the 2010 children's book titled Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer
3. Detective who is the most portrayed literary character in film
4. First book in the trilogy whose second and third books are called The Restaurant at the End of the Universe and Life, the Universe and Everything
5. African-American author who had four books chosen for Oprah's Book Club, the most of any author
1. 1939 novel, in which the title character falls to his death from a ladder in the first chapter, that begins in the middle of a sentence and ends in the middle of the same sentence
2. 1982 science-fiction film based on a novel called Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
This week's challenge
Take a seven-letter language term ending in M. Drop that M, then rearrange the remaining letters to spell something to write with. What is the term and what is the thing?
1. Fahrenheit 451
2. John Grisham
3. Sherlock Holmes (238 films as of May 2011)
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
5. Toni Morrison (Song of Solomon, Paradise, The Bluest Eye, Sula)
1. Finnegans Wake
2. Blade Runner