Most Active Stories
Arts & Culture
Fri May 30, 2014
Any Questions #144
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are dressed to the, uh, twelves for this week's show.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name CATHERINE. Add an L, then rearrange the result to spell a three-word phrase (two letters in the first word, three in the second, and five in the third) that describes someone who has been found not guilty. What is it?
Answer: Following the directions, you can spell IN THE CLEAR.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: TWELVES
On-air questions: This is episode #144 of Any Questions?, and as any decent multiplication table will tell you, 144 is 12 times 12. So let's see how well you square off against questions about twelves.
1. "Little Twelvetoes," along with "Figure Eight" and "Three is a Magic Number," were among the songs that taught multiplication in what classic educational cartoon series?
2. In some traditions, the 12 days of Christmas run from December 25 to January 5. In others, they begin on the 26 and end on the 6. In both cases, however, January 6 is a feast day referred to by what name?
3. The New York Jets have so far retired five numbers, including number 12, which was retired for what Hall of Fame quarterback, who played for the team from 1965 to 1976?
4. Currently, every piece of U.S. paper currency is marked with a letter between A and L, representing one of the 12 Federal Reserve Districts, which are organized geographically from east to west. District A bills are printed in Boston, and those from district L originate in San Francisco. From where do bills marked with a B come from?
5. Three films with the number 12 in their title have been nominated for Best Picture. Two of them are 1949's Twelve O’Clock High and 2013's 12 Years a Slave. What 1957 film is the third?
1. Originally airing on January 24, 1964, and adapted from a short story by Charles Beaumont, "Number 12 Looks Just Like You" was the 137th episode of what anthology series?
2. Magnesium (element number 12) is the fourth most abundant element on earth, comprising about 14% of its mass. Name any one of the three elements that comprise a higher percentage of the earth's mass.
This week's challenge
Another well-known group of 12 is the signs of the zodiac. Start with the signs TAURUS and LEO. Drop one letter and you can rearrange the rest to spell a two-word phrase (five letters in the first word, three letters in the second) that means "eliminates." What is it?
1. Schoolhouse Rock
3. Joe Namath
4. New York City
5. 12 Angry Men
1. The Twilight Zone
2. Iron (~32%), oxygen (~30%), silicon (~15%)