Most Active Stories
Arts & Culture
Fri June 20, 2014
Any Questions #147
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel spend this week at the movies.
Last week's challenge
Start with a key two-word phrase heard in many television recitations of the Miranda rights. Rearrange the letters in these two words and you can name a six-letter member of the military and a six-letter action that person has taken. What are the words?
Answer: REMAIN SILENT, MARINE ENLIST
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: "BLUE" MOVIES
On-air questions: On June 20, 1980, the films The Blue Lagoon and The Blues Brothers were both released in theaters. To commemorate those two classic – and very different – movies, this week our questions are about other "blue" movies.
1. The 1961 musical comedy Blue Hawaii was one of the more successful films starring who as a soldier who has just gotten out of the army and is looking forward to a life of surfing and hanging out at the beach?
2. Released in 1990, Mo' Better Blues tells the story of a jazz trumpeter (played by Denzel Washington) who makes a series of bad decisions that put both his personal life and musical career in jeopardy. The film was which director's follow-up to 1989's Do the Right Thing?
3. Cate Blanchett won a Best Actress Oscar for her portrayal of the title character – a socialite who falls into poverty and becomes homeless – in what 2013 Woody Allen film?
4. 1989's Blue Steel stars Jamie Lee Curtis as a New York City policewoman who is accused of killing an unarmed robber. It was directed by Kathryn Bigelow, who is perhaps better known for directing what 2008 war movie?
5. Blue Harvest was the working title for what 1983 sequel, which was given a fake title by Lucasfilm to keep the film's production secret from fans and the media?
1. Taking its title from its subject's autobiography (which took its title from one of her most popular songs), the 1972 biopic Lady Sings the Blues stars Diana Ross as what singer?
2. David Lynch's 1986 noir thriller Blue Velvet stars Kyle MacLachlan as a college student who becomes entangled in the seedy underworld of his hometown. MacLachlan also starred in what 1984 David Lynch movie, widely considered a flop and panned by many critics?
This week's challenge
Start with the title of the 1999 movie VARSITY BLUES. Change one letter to an A (not the one that's already there) and you can rearrange the result to spell a three-word phrase (six letters, four letters, two letters) that a member of a sports team might text to a friend after losing to a hated opponent. What is the phrase?
1. Elvis Presley
2. Spike Lee
3. Blue Jasmine
4. The Hurt Locker
5. Return of the Jedi
1. Billie Holiday