Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
Fri December 9, 2011
Any Questions? #15
Albany, NY – WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel undertake a very un-P.C. quiz.
Last week's challenge
Take a seven-letter language term ending in M. Drop that M, then rearrange the remaining letters to spell something to write with. What is the term and what is the thing?
Answer: The term is ACRONYM, and the thing is a CRAYON.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: I'M A "MAC"
On-air questions: This week, the new Apple Store is opening in Grand Central Terminal in New York City. So, each correct answer this week is a word, name, or title that starts with the letters M A C.
1. Group that, in 165 B.C.E., re-dedicated the Temple in Jerusalem, an event celebrated each year during the festival of Hanukkah
2. Peruvian historical site with a building named The Temple of the Sun, and which is often called "The Lost City of the Incas"
3. Nickname of prohibition-era gangster George Kelly Barnes, which derived from his favorite weapon
4. Award nicknamed the "Genius Grant,' of which public radio host Jad Abumrad was one of the recipients for 2011
5. Song originally composed for Bertold Brecht's The Threepenny Opera - and popularized in the 1950s by Bobby Darin - with the lyrics, "Oh, the shark, babe / Has such teeth, dear / And it shows them pearly white"
1. Term popularized by Alfred Hitchcock for a plot element in a story, such as the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, that drives the action, but whose specific nature is ultimately irrelevant
2. Quantity that represents the ratio of an object's speed in a fluid to the speed of sound in that fluid
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase APPLE STORE. Rearrange these ten letters to spell two names you might see in a supermarket checkout line. What are they?
2. Machu Picchu
3. "Machine Gun"
4. MacArthur Fellowship
5. "Mack The Knife"
2. Mach number