Arts & Culture
Fri July 18, 2014
Any Questions #151
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are joined by special guest player Walter Hickey of FiveThirtyEight.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase ONE-FIFTY. Change one letter to a J and you can rearrange the result to spell two four-letter men's names. What are they?
Answer: If you change the I to a J, you can spell JEFF and TONY.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FIVE, THIRTY, OR EIGHT
On-air questions: It’s guest answerer time again! Walter Hickey is the lead lifestyle writer for ESPN's FiveThirtyEight, a site that uses data and statistics to cover the news. A proud resident of Jersey City, New Jersey, Hickey writes about entertainment, food, culture and other completely frivolous things. Since Walter works for FiveThirtyEight, we thought we'd find out just how much he knows about that number, or at least parts of it. Each correct answer this week will contain either FIVE, THIRTY, or EIGHT.
1. Nominated for five Academy Awards in 2013, including Best Picture and Best Actress for Jessica Chastain, what war movie was billed as "the story of history’s greatest manhunt for the world’s most dangerous man?"
2. Subtitled "The Children's Crusade," what novel tells the story of Billy Pilgrim, a soldier who was a prisoner of war in Dresden, Germany, randomly travels in time, and believes he was held captive in an alien zoo?
3. "It’s a metaphor for the future…the fact that we’re so close to something that’s not tangible" is how actor Jared Leto explains the name of the band for which he is the lead singer. What band is it?
4. Comprised of the majority and minority leaders from both the House and the Senate, along with the chairs and minority ranking members of the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, what colloquial term is used for the group that is briefed on classified intelligence matters?
5. Founded in 1986 and ranked first in the Best Burger category in the 2011 Zagat Fast Food Survey, what restaurant chain’s name is a reference to founder Jerry Murrell and his sons Ben, Chad, Matt, and Jim?
1. Based on a 1963 book of the same name, what 1988 film directed by John Sayles and starring John Cusack dramatizes Major League Baseball’s Black Sox Scandal, in which members of the Chicago White Sox conspired to throw the 1919 World Series?
2. What rank was awarded to Omar Bradley upon his appointment as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to remedy the fact that his subordinate, Douglas MacArthur, would have outranked him?
This week's challenge
Start with the name of our special guest WALTER HICKEY. Change one letter to a C and you can spell a two-word phrase (seven letters, five letters) that names something a delusional person might need. What is it?
1. Zero Dark Thirty
3. Thirty Seconds To Mars
4. "Gang Of Eight"
5. Five Guys
1. Eight Men Out
2. Five-star general