Any Questions #152
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel dust off the turntable for a visit to Laurel Canyon.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name of last week's special guest WALTER HICKEY. Change one letter to a C and you can spell a two-word phrase (seven letters, five letters) that names something a delusional person might need. What is it?
Answer: If you change the W to a C, you can spell REALITY CHECK.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG
On-air questions: On July 25, 1969, Neil Young played his first show with David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and Graham Nash at the Fillmore East in New York City. To commemorate this historic musical moment, this week I've brought a quiz about the members of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.
1. After almost three years of secrecy and speculation, it was finally revealed in January of 2000 that David Crosby was the biological father to Bailey and Beckett, the children of what singer and her partner?
2. In 1997, Stephen Stills became the first person to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice on the same night. One of his inductions was with Crosby, Stills & Nash, and the other was for his work in what band, of which Neil Young was also a member?
3. Besides being an accomplished musician, Graham Nash is also an avid collector of photographs. In 1990, he sold at auction his collection of 2000 prints, which set the record at the time for the highest grossing sale of a private photograph collection. Which New York auction house handled the sale?
4. In 1994, Neil Young was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song. The song shares its title with the film it's featured in, and it lost the Oscar to a Bruce Springsteen song whose title has the film's title in it. What film was it?
5. Released only one month after the incident that inspired it, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young’s protest song "Ohio" was written in reaction to the tragedy at Kent State. What president is name-checked in the lyrics?
1. At what famous event did Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young open their set by saying, "This is only the second time we've performed in front of people"?
2. On July 30, 2008, Crosby, Stills & Nash performed their song "Teach Your Children" on a late-night talk show, with the host taking Neil Young's part, while mockingly dressed as Young. On what show did this performance take place?
This week's challenge
Start with the names NASH and STILLS. Drop one letter, then rearrange the rest to spell a four-letter word for some tiny things, and a five-letter word that names things built by the tiny things. What are they?
1. Melissa Etheridge
2. Buffalo Springfield
5. Richard Nixon
2. The Colbert Report