Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Shakespeare & Company's Founding Artistic Dir. Speaks About Recent Leadership Resignations
Arts & Culture
Fri August 1, 2014
Any Questions #153
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats for a quiz about Music Television.
Last week's challenge
Start with the names NASH and STILLS. Drop one letter, then rearrange the rest to spell a four-letter word for some tiny things, and a five-letter word that names things built by the tiny things. What are they?
Answer: Drop an S, ANT, HILLS
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: MTV
On-air questions: On August 1, 1981, a music video called “Video Killed The Radio Star” by The Buggles came on the air at 12:01 a.m., and the cable network Music Television was born. So today’s quiz is all about MTV.
1. The son of the co-founder of the L.A. comedy club The Comedy Store, which appropriately named comedian and MTV VJ from 1989-1994 was best known for his Spring Break antics?
2. Considered one of the first reality television shows, which program brought new cast members to a different city in each of its first nine seasons before returning to its original site, New York?
3. MTV has given Video Music Awards at its annual award show since 1984. What is the common name for the statuette given to winners?
4. The animated MTV series Daria began as a spinoff from what other MTV show?
5. Which realty show that ran for six seasons featured cast members with names like J-Woww, Snooki, and The Situation?
1. Who has won the most VMAs?
2. Which NBC late night host helmed Total Request Live on MTV before departing in 2002?
This week's challenge
Start with the two-word name of a famous dating game show on MTV in the 1990s. Rearrange the letters in these two words and you can spell the name of several lines on a globe. What are the words?
1. Pauly Shore
2. The Real World (as of this writing, it has been based in NYC three times and
4. Beavis and Butthead (created by Mike Judge and brought back for a second run in 2011)
5. Jersey Shore
2. Carson Daly