WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel go back to the before-and-after well.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name of a powerful late night television executive at NBC. Rearrange the letters in this person’s name and you can spell a two-word phrase (four letters, letters) that describes what a wayward sailor might be looking for. What is the phrase?
Answer: The executive is LORNE MICHAELS, and the phrase is CALM SHORELINE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: BEFORE AND AFTER STAYS HOME AND WATCHES TV
On-air questions: It's the end of January and that means it's been a month since folks made New Year's resolutions...which, of course, included watching a lot more television in 2015. I thought we'd help people along by playing a TV-themed version of our Before & After category. To remind our listeners how this works: each answer is a combination of two things, where the last word of the first part is the first word of the second part. This time around, the first part of each answer can be anything, but the second part will always be a well-known television show.
1. What long-running police procedural ripped many of its stories from the headlines and had an intro that began, "In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate but equally-important groups...and if anything can go wrong, it will"?
2. What NBC sitcom stars Amy Poehler as a government official in a small Indiana town who works tirelessly to improve the lives of the town's citizens, including one African American woman who refused to give up her seat on a public bus?
3. What series stars Kevin Spacey as a congressman who sets in motion an elaborate plan to place himself in a position of political power at any cost, all the while offering practical advice on how to renovate and restore homes?
4. What FX series about a California motorcycle club/crime syndicate whose primary businesses are selling illegal guns and providing protection to their town also features a Grammy-winning folk/bluegrass band perhaps best known for their 2012 song "I Will Wait"?
5. What television show, based on a series of books by George R.R. Martin, takes place on the fictional continent of Westeros and chronicles the struggles among noble families, and stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing, who attempts to break the German Enigma code during World War II?
1. What Netflix original series is based on the memoir of an inmate at a women's prison, where she is sent after taking part in a spree of "ultra-violence" and hanging out with her friends at a milk bar?
2. What TV show is about a high school football team in Texas and their appreciation that the end of the school week has finally arrived?
This week's challenge
Start with the words BEFORE and AFTER. Rearrange the letters to spell a two-word phrase (6,5) that names a type of marketing promotion that can help you get money back. What is it?
1. Murphy's Law & Order
2. Rosa Parks and Recreation
3. This Old House of Cards
4. Mumford & Sons of Anarchy
5. The Imitation Game of Thrones
1. A Clockwork Orange Is The New Black
2. Thank God It's Friday Night Lights