WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back (to-back).
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase FLEUR DE LIS. Change one letter to an S and you can spell the two-word name for things (five letters in each word) that aren't seen in math classes that much anymore. What are they?
Answer: If you change the F to an S, you can spell SLIDE RULES.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: BACK-TO-BACK WINS
On-air questions: The 67th annual Academy Awards took place on March 27, 1995. Forrest Gump won the award for Best Picture that year, along with five other awards. One of those five was for Best Actor, which went to Tom Hanks for his portrayal of the title character. It was the second year in a row that Hanks won the Best Actor Oscar (he won it the previous year for his role in Philadelphia). To honor Mr. Hanks' achievement, this week I've brought questions about other back-to-back wins.
1. The first golfer to record back-to-back victories in the Masters tournament did so in 1965 and 1966. Those wins were two of the six wins ultimately tallied by what golfer, known to fans as "The Golden Bear?"
2. Speaking of Oscars: along with those for her performances in the films Morning Glory and On Golden Pond, what actress took home back-to-back Best Actress Oscars in 1967 and 1968 for her roles in, respectively, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? and The Lion in Winter?
3. The only person to win back-to-back Pulitzer Prizes is editorial cartoonist Nelson Harding, in 1927 and 1928. The 1928 prize was awarded to Harding for a cartoon titled "May His Shadow Never Grow Less," a tribute to what famous aviator who made a historic flight from New York to Paris the year before?
4. Between 2010 and 2013, Nigel Richards notched back-to-back-to-back-to-back victories in the U.S. championships in what game, which was embroiled in a controversy in 2012 when a player (not Richards) was accused of cheating by palming two blank tiles?
5. In 1968, the Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance was introduced. Winning that year (and the seven years after it ・ so back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back wins?) was which singer, who won the second of those eight awards for the song "Chain of Fools"?
1. The Dodge Ram 1500 was the first truck to win the Truck of the Year award in back-to-back years years, earning the title in 2013 and 2014. The Truck of the Year (and its companion award for Car of the Year) are given out by what magazine?
2. The Shorty Awards are given annually to recognize individuals and organizations for their accomplishments in various forms of social media. What government organization accepted the second of its back-to-back wins with a tweet that read, in part, "We're sharing the universe, 1 tweet at a time"?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase BEST ACTOR. Change one letter to an A (not the one that's there already, as usual) and you can rearrange the letters to spell a two-word phrase (four letters, five letters) for events that take place on water. What are they?
1. Jack Nicklaus
2. Katharine Hepburn
3. Charles Lindbergh
5. Aretha Franklin
1. Motor Trend