This week's show is set in stone for WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel.
Last week's challenge
Start with the names of the moons EUROPA and TITAN. Rearrange the letters to spell a two-word phrase (four letters, seven letters) that names someone a body shop might have on speed dial. Who is it?
Answer: The person is an AUTO PAINTER.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: THE LINCOLN MEMORIAL
On-air questions: On August 7, 1959, the Lincoln Memorial design for the obverse of the U.S. penny was put into circulation. It replaced the wheat design that had been used since Lincoln's portrait was put on the penny in 1908. The Memorial was itself replaced in 2009 by four scenes honoring the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth, and in 2010, the current shield design was introduced. To, um...memorialize the building's appearance on the penny, our quiz this week is about the Lincoln Memorial.
1. The interior of the Memorial's chamber is divided into three sections by two rows of columns. On a wall of the north chamber is Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address, and inscribed in the south chamber are the 272 words of what famous speech?
2. In the 1939 film Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, the title character visits the Lincoln Memorial for inspiration after his faith in politics is shaken. What actor was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Mr. Smith, the first of five such nominations that include ones for his roles in Harvey and It's A Wonderful Life?
3. Before Congress approved the final design and the location of the Memorial, alternate ideas were proposed, including building a log cabin statue instead of the Greek temple design, and locating the memorial at what Washington, D.C., transportation hub?
4. The statue of Lincoln in the Memorial is the subject of two urban legends (both officially denied by the National Park Service). Some claim the face of Robert E. Lee is carved into the back of Lincoln's head, and others believe he is forming what two letters in sign language with his hands?
5. Measuring approximately 5 inches wide and 2.4 inches tall when completed, a model of the Lincoln Memorial sold by what company has a removable roof and is made of 272 pieces, including a tiny Lincoln figurine?
1. In 1939, Marian Anderson performed in front of the Lincoln Memorial, after the Daughters of the American Revolution refused to let her perform at Constitution Hall. This refusal led what then-First Lady to immediately resign from the DAR?
2. In May of 1970, President Richard Nixon met with a group of student protestors on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to discuss the Vietnam War and the protests thereto. This meeting took place five days after the tragic events at what Ohio university?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase LOG CABINS. Change one letter to an E and you can rearrange the letters to spell a word that names places where many speeches are given from. What are they?
1. The Gettysburg Address
2. James Stewart
3. Union Station
4. A and L
1. Eleanor Roosevelt
2. Kent State University