WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch spots for their campiest show yet.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase LOG CABINS. Change one letter to an E and you can rearrange the letters to spell a word that names places where many speeches are given from. What are they?
Answer: If you change the G to an E, you can spell BALCONIES.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW
On-air questions: On this date in 1975, the film The Rocky Horror Picture Show opened in the United Kingdom. Its U.S. debut came September 26. The film adaptation of the stage show that had been running at London’s Royal Court Theatre and several other locations since two years earlier is now considered the longest-running release in movie history — inspiring midnight showings and shadow casts the world over. In his initial review, Roger Ebert wrote: “It's one of those movies you have to use a lot of hyphens to explain. A horror-rock-transvestite-camp-omnisexual-musical parody.” So today, with Mike N. Othnagel on the other side of the table, our show is all about Rocky Horror.
1. The role of Janet in the film was performed by Susan Sarandon, who has since gone on to earn five Academy Award nominations and one win. For which movie were Sarandon and her co-star both nominated for Best Actress?
2. Tim Curry shot to fame in the role of Dr. Frank N. Furter in Rocky Horror after appearing in the stage version in the years before the film was released. In a similarly heavy-makeup role, Curry played the clown Pennywise in the 1990 miniseries It based on the novel by which author?
3. The movie’s now iconic lips logo dominate the poster and other art associated with the film. The poster is meant a parody of which other 1975 film, a blockbuster that takes place on Amity Island?
4. Among the many television shows to spoof Rocky Horror over the years was Glee in 2010. Among the film’s cast to make appearances on the show were Barry Bostwick (Brad Majors in the movie) and which actor-musician, who also appeared in the Broadway production of Hair?
5. In the role of Magenta in Rocky Horror is the actress Patricia Quinn, whose lips we discussed earlier. Previously, she played the title role in which 1969 Arthur Penn-directed movie that takes place in Stockbridge, Mass. and features many townspeople?
1. Which still-performing rock legend, also closely associated with lips, lobbied unsuccessfully to play Tim Curry’s part in the film?
2. Which royal reportedly told Curry she was a fan of the movie and that it had “completed her education?”
This week's challenge
Start with the words “time warp again.” Rearrange the letters and you can spell the six-letter name of an Asian island and a seven-letter literary device. What are the words?
1. Thelma And Louise (She and Geean Davis both lost to Jodie Foster in The Silence of the Lambs)
2. Stephen King (Curry recently wished good luck to actor Will Poulter, who will play Pennywise in the forthcoming It remake.)
3. Jaws (Rocky Horror’s poster tagline read “a different set of jaws.”)
4. Meat Loaf (One interesting note: Meat Loaf is the father-in-law of metal singer Scott Ian of Anthrax)
5. Alice’s Restaurant
1. Mick Jagger
2. Princess Diana