Any Questions? #21
Albany, NY – WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel undertake a presidential quiz to commemorate inauguration day, which usually falls on January 20th.
Last week's challenge
Take the name of a well-known person in the entertainment industry whose last name ends with a Z (7 letters in the first name, 4 letters in the second). Change the Z to an I, then rearrange the result to spell two forms of entertainment. What are they?
Answer: If you start with CAMERON DIAZ and follow the directions, you can spell CINEMA and RADIO.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: U.S. PRESIDENTS
On-air questions: Since January 20th is traditionally inauguration day for the U.S. president (unless the 20th falls on a Sunday, and then the ceremony takes place on the 21st), it seems appropriate to have a quiz about presidents this week.
1. Restriction placed on the U.S. presidency by the 22nd Amendment
2. President who used the West Point Bible for the swearing-in ceremony during both of his inaugurations
3. Invention that Rutherford B. Hayes was the first to use in the White House, in 1879
4. President who said, "I love sports. Whenever I can, I always watch the Detroit Tigers on the radio."
5. Name given to the helicopter in which the president is flying
1. Only President to be elected as a member of the Federalist Party
2. Significance of "Radiance" and "Rosebud" to President Obama
This week's challenge
Think of a place associated with the White House (4, 6). Drop the S from its name, and the remaining nine letters can be rearranged to spell the last names of two people who ran against each other for president. What is the place and who are the people?
1. Two-term limit (if someone serves more than two years of another person's term, he or she can only be elected once)
2. Dwight Eisenhower
3. Telephone (after using it, Hayes reportedly said, "That's an amazing invention, but who would ever want to use one of them?")
4. Gerald Ford
5. Marine One
1. John Adams
2. They're the Secret Service codenames of his daughters, Malia and Sasha