Most Active Stories
Fri January 27, 2012
Any Questions? #22
Albany, NY – WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel fill in some blanks.
Last week's challenge
Think of a place associated with the White House (4 letters in the first word, 6 letters in the second). Drop the S from this name, and the remaining nine letters can be rearranged to spell the last names of two people who ran against each other for U.S. president. What is the place and who are the people?
Answer: The place is the ROSE GARDEN, and the people are GORE and NADER.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: _____ AND _____
On-air questions: To commemorate the January 26, 1970 release of Simon and Garfunkel's final studio album, Bridge Over Troubled Water, our quiz this week is about other famous pairs.
1. 1991 film that ends with the title characters driving over the edge of the Grand Canyon to avoid being arrested
2. 1775 military battles that commenced with what Ralph Waldo Emerson later termed 'the shot heard 'round the world"
3. Broadway musical featuring a character named Nathan Detroit, who runs "the oldest established permanent floating crap game in New York"
4. Southern European country bordered by Croatia, Serbia, and Montenegro that was part of the Republic of Yugoslavia until 1992
5. Design on a flag familiarly known as the Jolly Roger
1. 1982 number-one hit in which the title subjects "live together in perfect harmony/ side by side on my piano keyboard"
2. The two Jane Austen novels that fit the category
This week's challenge
Rearrange the nine letters in the word AMPERSAND to spell the name of something you can take, and what you might have while you're taking one. What are these things?
1. Thelma & Louise
2. Lexington and Concord
3. Guys & Dolls
4. Bosnia and Herzegovina
5. Skull and crossbones
1. "Ebony and Ivory"
2. Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility