WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel chad it up this week.
Last week's challenge
Think of an eight-letter word starting with M for numbers that automobile drivers might be concerned with. Add a double D somewhere in the word and the result will be a two-word phrase (six letters, four letters) for a time when there weren’t any automobiles. What is the word and what is the phrase?
Answer: The word is MILEAGES, and the phrase is MIDDLE AGES.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FAMOUS CHADS
On-air questions: OK, Ian: on August 26, 1940, Chad became the first French colony to join the Allied forces in World War II. Chad's lieutenant governor, Félix Eboué, led a coalition that included Chad and three other colonies in support of Charles de Gaulle's Free France movement, which he led as a government-in-exile. To commemorate Chad's support of the Allied forces, this week our questions are about famous Chads.
1. The country Chad takes its name from Lake Chad, a large body of water that lies on the western edge of the country and provides water to some 68 million people. Appropriately, the word "Chad" is a word that means in a local dialect, essentially, what?
2. Sportswriter and syndicated columnist Norman Chad has, since 2003, appeared as a commentator on most of ESPN's broadcasts, including those for the World Series, of what card game?
3. In October of 2006, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson announced that in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, he wished to be called by what name, a reference to his jersey number 85, and a name he legally adopted as his last name from 2008 to 2012?
4. Actor Chad Michael Murray, perhaps best known for his role on the WB sitcom One Tree Hill, played Tristan, a classmate of Rory's on a TV series set in Stars Hollow, Connecticut, What series, starring Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel, is it?
5. By what two-word name did little punched-out pieces of paper come to be known during the 2000 Presidential election, after their failure to completely detach from the ballots caused those votes to go uncounted by the tabulating machines?
1. Chad, a variant on a popular game, is played on a board with twelve squares on a side and provides each player with a king and eight rooks. Of what game is chad a variant?
2. At the 2016 Summer Olympics, swimmer Chad le Clos was one of three swimmers who were involved in a three-way tie for the silver medal in the 100-meter butterfly. The other two swimmers were László Cseh and who?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase LAKE CHAD. Rearrange the letters in one word and add a letter to the other word without rearranging to get the names of two things that might be next to each other on a supermarket shelf. What are they?
3. Ocho Cinco
4. Gilmore Girls
5. "Hanging chads"
2. Michael Phelps