WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back with a miraculous show.
Last week's challenge
Start with the words CENTER and MIDDLE. Change one letter to an A and you can rearrange the result to spell a two-word phrase (seven letters, five letters) that a client might text to his stock broker to tell him not to make a transaction. What is the phrase?
Answer: If you change the M to an A, you can spell DECLINE TRADE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: MIRACLES
On-air questions: On February 24, 1980 in Lake Placid, New York, the U.S. Olympic men's ice hockey team defeated the team from Finland 4-2 to take home the gold medal. Two days earlier, the U.S. came from behind to beat the team from the Soviet Union in a game famously known as the "Miracle on Ice". The defending gold medalists were up 3-2 after the second period, but the U.S. scored twice in the final period and won the game. The Miracle on Ice was named in 1999 by Sports Illustrated the top sports moment of the 20th century. To commemorate that iconic sports moment, this week our quiz is about miracles.
1. What product, first introduced at the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago, was developed by Kraft as a blend of mayonnaise and salad dressing, and was named for the emulsifying machine which combined its ingredients?
2. Its original version premiered on the anthology TV series Playhouse 90 in 1957. It was adapted into a 1959 Broadway play, a 1962 film – for which its two stars, Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke, both won Academy Awards – a 1979 TV movie, and a 2000 film. What is the title of this work?
3. In the 1947 film Miracle on 34th Street, a man named Kris Kringle complains about the intoxication of the Santa in the Thanksgiving Day parade, and is convinced to take his place. Based on his performance, Kringle is hired to play Santa in the flagship store – located on 34th Street – of what retailer?
4. They formed in Detroit, Michigan in 1955 as The Five Chimes, later became The Matadors, and in December of 1960, the singing group most famously known as Smokey Robinson and the Miracles became the first Motown act to appear on what popular weekly music and dance show?
5. Miracles, a 1947 nonfiction book that argues that before one can determine if miracles have occurred, one must resolve the question of whether miracles can occur in principle, was written by what author, three years after his novel The Screwtape Letters and three years before The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?
1. Earning its nickname because of the unlikeliness of its rise to prominence in the city, a section of Wilshire Boulevard nicknamed the "Miracle Mile" features numerous museums, theaters, and stores, and runs near the La Brea Tar Pits in what city?
2. "Miracle Man" is the second track on the 1977 debut album My Aim is True by what singer/songwriter?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase IT'S A MIRACLE. Change one letter to a B and you can rearrange the result to spell the two-word name (seven letters, four letters) of something often eaten in Indian restaurants. What is it?
1. Miracle Whip
2. The Miracle Worker
4. American Bandstand
5. C.S. Lewis
1. Los Angeles
2. Elvis Costello