WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel welcome a "third" to the studio.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name of a bygone major league stadium. Rearrange the letters and you can spell the name of another nearby stadium that is home to a different sport. What are the stadiums?
Answer: The stadiums are SHEA Stadium and ASHE Stadium.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FAMOUS THIRDS
On-air questions: On April 7, 1805, the first public performance of Beethoven's Third Symphony took place in Vienna, Austria. Commonly known as the "Eroica" ("Heroic Symphony") the piece was originally dedicated to – and named for – Napoleon Bonaparte, who Beethoven believed embodied the democratic ideals of the French Revolution. Once Napoleon declared himself emperor, Beethoven removed his name from the title page of the symphony, although he continued to call the work Buonaparte. In honor of the debut of Beethoven's Third Symphony, this week our quiz is about other famous thirds.
1. Thurston Howell III, called "The Millionaire" in the opening credits, is one of seven castaways stranded after their tour boat runs aground on what 1960s TV series?
2. The 1949 British film noir The Third Man stars Joseph Cotton as American writer Holly Martins who travels to Vienna to take a job offered by his friend Harry Lime. Lime was portrayed by what actor, writer, and director, who would release his film Touch of Evil some eight years later?
3. Located in West Comstock, Michigan, just north of Grand Rapids, Fifth Third Ballpark opened in 1994 and has, since then been home to the West Michigan Whitecaps, the Class A minor league affiliate of what Major League Baseball team?
4. The Third Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was written as a response to an act passed by the British Parliament whereby the colonists were required to house British troops in private residences if necessary. What word is missing from the first part of the Amendment: "No Soldier shall, in time of peace be _____ in any house, without the consent of the owner"
5. Appropriately enough, the third album by the rock band Big Star, released in 1974, the 2008 third album by the band Portishead, and the 2014 third album by the Baseball Project all share what title?
1. John Lithgow, Kristen Johnston, French Stewart, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt starred as a group of extraterrestrials posing as a human family to study human behavior on what NBC sitcom?
2. What famous play introduced the phrases "the winter of our discontent" and "my kingdom for a horse" into the lexicon?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase THIRD BASEMAN. Rearrange the letters to spell the eight-letter name of an alcoholic beverage and the four-letter name of a unit of measurement often used to measure small amounts of alcohol. What are the words?
1. Gilligan's Island
2. Orson Welles
3. Detroit Tigers
1. Third Rock from the Sun
2. Richard III