WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel take a turn in the moshpit.
Last week's challenge
Start with the names FINCH and CRANE. Add a letter and you can rearrange the result to spell the names (one five letters, the other six letters) of two countries. What are they?
Answer: If you add an A, you can spell FRANCE and CHINA.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: PUNK ROCK
On-air questions: May 19 is the birthday of two of rock music’s most influential artists: Pete Townshend in 1945 and Jeffrey Hyman six years later. Jeffrey Hyman became better known as…Joey Ramone. So with those punk godfathers in mind, today’s show is all about punk rock.
1. Guitarist Steve Jones, who released a recent memoir called Lonely Boy, says contrary to myth, he played guitar on all of the Sex Pistols’ album Never Mind the Bollocks. The band last reunited in 2008. About whom was Jones speaking when he said while he respects him as a frontman, “We don’t have a relationship. We live in the same city, but we have no desire to see one another.”?
2. Active from 1967-1971, 1972-1974 and 2003-2016, what Rock and Hall of Fame punk band features a lead singer who has appeared in films like Snow Day, Coffee and Cigarettes, Blood Orange and appeared in five episodes of the 90s Nickelodeon cult classic Pete and Pete?
3. This spring, a more than 20-year-old demo surfaced that featured one song, “Having a Blast,” that wound up on punk’s highest-selling album with 20 million albums sold. Other songs on the album include Longview, “Basket Case” and “She.” What is the name of the album and who is the artist?
4. Sponsored since its second year in 1996 by shoe company Vans, what traveling music festival’s initial lineup included The Deftones, Fluf, L7, No Doubt and Sublime among others?
5. Featuring lyrics by Woody Guthrie, the 2005 song “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” was used prominently in the 2006 Best Picture The Departed and became a Red Sox anthem. What band, which told Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker in 2015 that it “literally hates him” and to stop using its music, wrote the song?
1. Known for his career with an eponymous band and the punk giants Black Flag, what frontman has also worked as an actor, spoken-word artist, radio host, journalist and author?
2. What name is shared by a punk band that formed in Southern California in 1998 and the monster in a 1986 horror novel by Stephen King that was adapted into a 1990 miniseries?
This week's challenge
Start with the name of punk icons BAD RELIGION. Rearrange the letters and you can spell two words (3, 8) that might be used to make fried chicken. What are the words?
1. Johnny Rotten
2. Iggy Pop (whose real name is James Newell Osterberg, Jr.)
3. Dookie by Green Day (the album features a famous hidden track, All By Myself)
4. Warped Tour
5. Dropkick Murphys
1. Henry Rollins