WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back with a quiz about literary homes.
Last week's challenge
Start with the words CRANK and RADIO. Rearrange the letters and you can spell a four-letter food and a six-letter condition you don’t want your food to be in. What are the words?
Answer: OKRA and RANCID.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: A "HOUSE" DIVIDED
On-air questions: On June 16, 1858, Abraham Lincoln gave his famous "A House Divided" speech. The speech was given to the Illinois Republican Party after they nominated him for the state senate seat held by Stephen Douglas. The speech is named after a section from one of its most famous passages: "A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free." Lincoln would unsuccessfully win that senate seat, but he would defeat Douglas two years later in a run for some other political office, but I forget which one. To commemorate Lincoln's speech, this week our questions are about other literary houses. I'll give you three novels by an author. You give me the title of the novel by that same author with the word "house" in the title.
1. By the Shores of Silver Lake, Little House in the Big Woods, These Happy Golden Years
2. Barnaby Rudge, Martin Chuzzlewit, The Mystery of Edwin Drood
3. The Blithedale Romance, The Marble Faun, The Scarlet Letter
4. The Age of Innocence, The Custom of the Country, The Valley of Decision
5. The Hotel New Hampshire, A Prayer for Owen Meany, The World According to Garp
1. The Client, The Firm, Rogue Lawyer
2. The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, The Idiot
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase CIDER HOUSE. Change one letter to a B and you can rearrange the result to spell the six-letter name of a flower, and a four-letter word for things that are often seen around flowers. What are the words?
1. Little House on the Prairie
2. Bleak House
3. The House of the Seven Gables
4. The House of Mirth
5. The Cider House Rules
1. A Painted House
2. The House of the Dead