WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back with a show about lions.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase HOPE DIAMOND. Change one letter to a W, and you can spell a seven-letter word for something seen at the end of a bowling alley and a four-letter word for what that thing is made of. What are they?
Answer: If you change the M to a W, you can spell HEADPIN and WOOD.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: LIONS
On-air questions: Tonight, November 17, 2017, is expected to be the peak of the Leonid meteor shower. Named because they appear to originate from the constellation Leo (the Lion), the Leonid showers in the 1830s had a major impact on the development of the study of meteors. A 1934 jazz standard titled "Stars Fell on Alabama" – a phrase used on the license plates of that state from 2002 to 2009 – was inspired by the 1833 occurrence of the meteor shower. To commemorate the Leonids, this week our questions are about lions.
1. Two marble lions sculpted by Edward Clark Potter, officially named Lord Astor and Lady Lenox and nicknamed Patience and Fortitude by former New York City mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, lie on either side of the stairway leading to the main entrance of what building?
2. The BC Lions of the Canadian Football League are named after a pair of mountains known as The Lions. The Lions play their home games in which city, which is also the city overlooked by the mountains?
3. Since 1917, the film studio MGM has used a roaring lion named Leo in its production logo. This logo was parodied by MTM Enterprises, who used a meowing cat named Mimsie. MTM Enterprises was co-founded by what actress, who created the company to produce her self-titled show beginning in the late 1960s?
4. Version 10.7 of OS X, nicknamed Lion, followed six other versions named after animals, including Jaguar and Leopard. What company developed Lion and its successors, including the most recent version – version 10.13 -- called High Sierra?
5. The 1968 film The Lion in Winter, based on a Broadway play from two years earlier, won three Academy Awards, including one for Katharine Hepburn as Best Actress for her portrayal of Eleanor of Aquitaine. Hepburn's win is part of the only time that what has happened with the awarding of the Oscar for Best Actress?
1. A Lion Among Men, a 2008 novel by Gregory Maguire, is the third novel in a series that includes 2005's Son of a Witch and a 1995 novel that was adapted into what Broadway musical?
2. The 1987 album The Lion and the Cobra is the debut album by what singer-songwriter, who would achieve even greater success with her 1990 album I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase PRIDE OF LIONS. Change one letter to a T and you can spell the seven-letter name of a television show and a five-letter word for something most television shows have. What are the words?
1. New York Public Library
3. Mary Tyler Moore
5. There was a tie
2. Sinéad O'Connor