WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch spots for a show about the 12th month.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase FACIAL HAIR. Change one letter to an M and you can rearrange the result to spell the name of a continent and the name of a country on that continent. What are they?
Answer: Change the H to an M and you can spell AFRICA and MALI.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: TWELVE
On-air questions: Well, Mike, today is the first day of December, the 12th and final month of the year. Time to start thinking about those New Year’s resolutions and that last-minute holiday shopping. But first, it’s time for a quiz about groups of 12.
1. Slay, slay, capture, capture, clean, slay, capture, steal, obtain, obtain, steal, capture. That’s a quick version of the 12 labors completed by what ancient god over a period of a dozen years?
2. Known for the Red River Showdown between Oklahoma and Texas football, what college athletic conference that debuted in 1996 with a Texas Tech-Kansas State football game only has 10 full current members?
3. What group of nations, now numbering 14 with the addition of Gabon and Equatorial Guinea over the past two years, featured Venezuela as its only original member from the Americas and accounted for 44 percent of the world’s oil in 2016?
4. What is the name of the memoir published in 1853 by former Saratoga Springs resident Solomon Northup, which shares its title with the Best Picture Oscar winner at the 2014 Academy Awards?
5. Season 3, Episode 3 of what comedian’s television series was made up entirely of a satire of the 1957 film adaptation of “12 Angry Men?”
1. Referring to a group of descendants of Mohammed, Twelvers are the largest groups of the Shia branch of what religion?
2. Matthias replaced which of the original 12 apostles of Jesus, who betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver in the New Testament?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase HOLIDAY TIME. Rearrange the letters and you can spell a five-letter county in the Western Hemisphere and six-letter word you often hear during holidays. What are the words?
1. Heracles (Hercules) The final labor was the capture of Cerberus, the three-headed dog who guards the gates to the underworld
2. The Big 12 (current members have combined for 14 football national championships)
3. OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries)
4. Twelve Years a Slave
5. Amy Schumer (that epsiode won Outstanding Directing for a Variety Series)
1. Islam (there are estimated to be up to 296 million Twelvers)
2. Judas Iscariot