WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are getting into the Christmas spirit with a holiday-inspired show.
Last week's challenge
Start with the title THE LAST JEDI. Rearrange the letters to spell a four-letter word for something that is usually green and a seven-letter word for something that is commonly purple. What are the words?
Answer: JADE and THISTLE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: “C.T.”
On-air questions: This is our last show before Christmas. And chances are if you’re celebrating, you have your Christmas tree set up by now. If not, there’s no time like the present….Anyway, today’s show is all about things with the initials C.T.
1. Hosted since 2014 by NBC political director Chuck Todd, one of 12 moderators over its 70-year history, what is the longest-running television program, with a theme song called “The Pulse of Events?”
2. A 2015 movie by George Miller that went on to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar was a reboot of a three-film dystopian series dating to 1979. Who starred as Furiosa in the latest installment, alongside Tom Hardy?
3. Affiliated with the Philadelphia Phillies since their inception in 1985, the single-A baseball team the Clearwater Threshers shares Spectrum Field with their parent club’s spring training facility in what state?
4. About 135 miles from Knoxville and 120 from Nashville, what city inspired a song recorded by the Glenn Miller Orchestra in 1941 and is also home to the International Towing and Recovery Hall of Fame and Museum?
5. What SUV in production since 1995 takes its name from the sixth-largest lake by volume in the U.S., trailing only the Great Lakes? (Hint: it forms part of the border between two Western states.)
1. Now in a museum in the Netherlands, the oil painting Café Terrace at Night was completed in Arles, France in 1888 by which impressionist, the subject of a groundbreaking 2017 animated film?
2. Actress Christine Taylor, a regular on the early 1990s Nickelodeon series “Hey Dude,” has been married to which man since 2000, with whom she’s appeared in the films: Zoolander, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, Tropic Thunder, and Zoolander 2?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase CHRISTMAS TREE. Rearrange the letters and you can spell a five-letter word for a type of fabric often used in association with lighting, and an eight-letter word for places they are often used. What are the words?
1. Meet the Press (the longest-tenured host was Tim Russert, 1991-2008)
2. Charlize Theron (Mad Max: Fury Road)
3. Florida (the Phillies have trained in Clearwater since 1948)
4. Chattanooga, Tennessee (Chattanooga Choo Choo)
5. Chevy Tahoe
1. Vincent van Gogh (Loving Vincent)
2. Ben Stiller (they are separated as of May 2017)