WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back in the saddle again.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name MISTER ROGERS. Change one letter to a D and you can spell a four-letter word for a category of animals, and an eight-letter word for a breed in that category. What are the words?
Answer: If you change the M to a D, you can spell DOGS and TERRIERS.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: HORSES
On-air questions: On June 15, 1878, photographer Eadweard Muybridge took a series of photographs that showed all four hooves of a horse will leave the ground at the same time while it is trotting. Collectively titled Sallie Gardner at a Gallop – named after the horse depicted in the photos – the series of images was taken on what Muybridge called a "zoopraxiscope" and is widely cited as a pioneering predecessor of the movie projector. To commemorate Muybridge's photos, this week our questions are about horses.
1. Sometimes called Barnard 33, and first discovered in the 1880s by astronomer Willamina Fleming, a gas and dust cloud known as the Horsehead Nebula sits just south of the easternmost star in the "belt" of what constellation?
2. At the Summer Olympics, the pommel horse is a gymnastics event that is contested by male gymnasts only. There are three other such events: the horizontal bar, the parallel bars, and what?
3. Based on the "brony" culture associated with the children's television show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, "The Equestranauts" is a 2014 episode in which the title character must go undercover at an "Equestra Con" to retrieve a prized rare toy pony owned by his daughter Tina after she is tricked into trading it. "The Equestranauts" is the seventeenth episode of season four of what series?
4. Commonly played in high-stakes tournaments, the multi-game poker format known as H.O.R.S.E. consists of five games, each represented by a letter in the acronym. The O is Omaha, the R is Razz, the S is seven card-stud, and the E stands for the word "eight" in an "eight-or-better" variation of seven-card stud. What poker variation does the H stand for?
5. In 2018, a horse named Justify won thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown and is the first winner whose name starts with J. Alphabetically first in the list of Triple Crown winners is 1978's Affirmed. What winner is second alphabetically?
1. Who described her 1975 album Horses as "three-chord rock merged with the power of the word"?
2. Among his many film and television credits, actor Michael Horse is known for portraying Deputy Hawk from 1990 to 1991, and again in 2017, on what series?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase ONE-HORSE TOWN. Change one letter to a V, and you can rearrange the result to spell the last name of a scientist and the last name of a U.S. president. What are the names?
3. Bob's Burgers
4. Hold 'em
5. American Pharoah
1. Patti Smith
2. Twin Peaks