Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Arts & Culture
Fri May 25, 2012
Any Questions? #39
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel have finally copped to their holier-than-though attitude with this week's show.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase OLD PEOPLE. Using only the letters in those words, but not all of them, you can spell the name shared by 13 people who also shared a job. What is the name and what is the job?
Answer: Following the directions, you can spell LEO, the name of 13 people who were POPE. Bonus fact: Pope XIII was the oldest pope.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FAMOUS SAINTS
On-air questions: On May 25, 1988, the television show St. Elsewhere aired its series finale, which many people interpret to mean the entire series existed only in the mind of a young boy named Tommy Westphall. To commemorate that infamous episode, our quiz this week is all about other famous saints.
1. Volcano in Washington state whose 1980 eruption is the deadliest and most economically devastating eruption in U.S. history
2. Two-word term for a group of young actors, including Andrew McCarthy and Rob Lowe, who frequently co-starred in movies, among them 1985's St. Elmo's Fire
3. Plant commonly prescribed as an herbal alternative to traditional antidepressant medications
4. Only U.S. state whose capital contains the word "saint"
5. Church denomination with the acronym LDS and familiarly known as the Mormon church
1. Movie featuring a character named David St. Hubbins, portrayed by Michael McKean, who improvised the entire role
2. Team defeated in Super Bowl XLIV by the New Orleans Saints, who made their first Super Bowl appearance that year
This week's challenge
Think of a six-letter word that names a person you'd be happy to see if you were lost in the woods. Add ST to the beginning, and you'll get a new word that names a person you probably wouldn't be happy to see if you were lost in the woods. Who are the people?
1. Mount St. Helens
2. "Brat Pack"
3. St. John's Wort
5. Latter-Day Saints
1. This Is Spinal Tap
2. Indianapolis Colts