Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
Arts & Culture
Fri June 8, 2012
Any Questions? #41
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel celebrate the publication of a George Orwell classic with another dystopian show.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name PAT BOONE. Change one letter to a C, then rearrange the result to spell two things many superheroes wear. What are they?
Answer: The things are a BOOT and a CAPE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: 1984
On-air questions: On June 8, 1949, George Orwell's classic novel Nineteen Eighty-Four was published. This week we return to the time of the first MTV Video Music Awards with a quiz about events that happened in the year 1984.
1. Country that initiated a boycott, which 14other countries later joined, of the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles
2. Recipient of the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize who remarked in his acceptance speech, "I have just got to believe God is around. If he is not, we in South Africa have had it."
3. Title relinquished in 1984 by Vanessa Williams after Penthouse magazine published nude photos of her
4. Film released in 1984 that went onto win eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actor for F. Murray Abraham as Antonio Salieri
5. Annual competition won in 1984 by Daniel Greenblatt, whose winning word was "luge"
1. Space shuttle that began its maiden voyage on August 30, 1984 and flew more missions than any other shuttle before its final touchdown on March 9, 2011
2. Six words that finish this 1984 quote by Ronald Reagan, said during a microphone check for a radio broadcast: "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever."
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase AIRSTRIP ONE. Rearrange these 11letters to spell the name of a process you need to do to survive. What is it?
1. Soviet Union
2. Desmond Tutu
3. Miss America
5. National Spelling Bee
2. "We begin bombing in five minutes."